Associate Director, Technical Accounting & Policy
Company: BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc.
Location: San Rafael
Posted on: November 22, 2021
BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is a world leader in developing
therapies to treat rare genetic diseases, and after more than two
decades, BioMarin's extensive research and development efforts
continue to expand the boundaries of medicine. Guided by its
commitment to the rare disease community, the Company seeks to
rapidly develop first-in-class or best-in-class therapies that will
make a meaningful difference to small patient populations.BioMarin
Finance is growing rapidly with the overall company and is
developing into a cutting-edge global finance organization.
BioMarin has over $1.5 billion in annual revenues and operations in
over 40 countries that drive a fast-paced and dynamic environment
with significant global accounting and finance complexity. BioMarin
has ambitious growth plans in the immediate future and has an
enthusiastic global finance team that is eager to deliver a
world-class accounting and finance function to BioMarin and its
stakeholders.BioMarin trades on the Nasdaq under ticker BMRN and is
headquartered in San Rafael, CaliforniaJob Description: Reporting
to the Corporate Controller, the Associate Director, Technical
Accounting and Policies will serve as internal US GAAP subject
matter expert, provide technical accounting advice on complex
business transactions across the Company and work closely with the
Business Development team on accounting considerations for M&A
and licensing deals. The AD will be responsible for development and
training of accounting policies and supporting the finance and
accounting team with timely and insightful research, documentation,
and guidance on technical accounting matters, including complex and
non-standard transactions such as revenue recognition, inventory
valuation, derivatives, equity and debt offerings and adoption of
new standards. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, who is
knowledgeable in BioTech/Pharma industry US GAAP applications as
well as general technical accounting matters, a great communicator
and enjoys collaborating with people with a diverse set of talents.
We are looking for someone with strong technical accounting skills,
who is passionate about delivering quality results and driving
continual improvement in a dynamic, high-growth
environment.RESPONSIBILITIES Technical Accounting:
- Serve as internal technical accounting subject matter
- Develop and maintain deep relationships with business
development team to understand the impact of recommended accounting
treatments; and, if applicable, offer alternative accounting
treatments based on different deal structures; escalate any
potential unusual accounting issues
- Lead Company's adoption efforts for new pronouncements as and
- Acts as single point of contact for enterprise expertise with
respect to changes to the US GAAP guidance that impact global
- Research, analyze and assess the impact of technical accounting
matters and arrive at well-reasoned conclusions.
- Prepare/review technical accounting memos and effectively
communicate technical accounting conclusions and supporting
- Proactively participate in the analysis of complex accounting
matters, communicating results succinctly for accountant and
non-accountants to understand
- Exercise sound judgement when escalating issues to Corporate
Controller, Chief Accounting Office and Chief Financial
- Provide periodic GAAP updates to global Finance leadership as
and when applicable.Polices
- Responsible for the global accounting policy manual and related
maintenance process (drafting, reviewing, updating).
- Provides direction and guidance to the accounting organization
to ensure activities are recorded and reported in compliance with
GAAP and internal accounting policies.
- Participates in or leads special projects related to technical
accounting matters for the organization.
- Address inquiries arising from Regional Controllers or business
regarding application of the Company's accounting policies and U.S.
GAAP to significant and unusual transactions.
- Prepare and/or revise accounting policies and procedures to
reflect new accounting pronouncements or guidance, to improve
clarity or to respond to changing circumstances.
- Communicate with Finance personnel regarding accounting
changes, new accounting standards and technical accounting
- Maintain and perform SOX controls within the Technical
- Other projects and responsibilities may be added at the
- At the direction of the Accounting leadership, leads
coordinating Finance organization training programs related to
accounting updates, including but not limited to, engagement with
external and internal auditors, the AICPA and other outside
- Crafting strong business partnerships across functions both
within and external to Corporate Controllership Education:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field is required.
CPA or equivalent experience required. Experience:
- 10+ years of relevant experience with mix of Big 4 public
accounting and a technical role in industry or consulting (biotech
- Advanced understanding of generally accepted accounting
- Strong attention to detail, decision-making, problem-solving,
time management and organizational skills
- Strong project management, organizational, analytical, and
problem-solving skills. Must be highly detail oriented.
- Process-oriented, ability to work with others and lead and
affect process change and improvements.
- Excellent Excel spreadsheet skills including financial
modeling, accounting system and proficiency with other Microsoft
Office products (Word, PowerPoint, etc.); Oracle/Hyperion reporting
experience a plus.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral, to facilitate
interaction through all levels of the organization
- Ability to research and propose resolutions on complex
- Ability to quickly learn and utilize reporting and other
management systems and tools
- Computer skills including Excel, Word, Power Point and
computerized G/L and financial reporting systems.CONTACTS
- Heavy interaction with Finance executive leadership including
CFO, CAO, Corporate Controller, Regional Accounting teams,
FP&A, Accounting Operations, Tax and Treasury as well business
partners outside of finance including Business Development,
Commercial Operations, Technical Operations, Legal and Human
Resources; other Finance and IM Department management and staff;
cost center managers; external auditors; internal audit. SUPERVISOR
- Manager SEC Reporting & Technical Accounting will have a dotted
line reporting into this role and serve as support staff for
accounting research and drafting of accounting memos or other
ad-hoc support.Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits
vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinatedRemote
candidates will be considered, but strong preference for Bay area
Keywords: BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc., San Rafael , Associate Director, Technical Accounting & Policy, Executive , San Rafael, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!