Lab Operations Manager
Company: BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc.
Location: San Rafael
Posted on: May 14, 2022
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that
provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and
life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that
lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of
patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often
inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and
have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to
focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their
kind. BioMarin's Research & Development group is responsible for
everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical
development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical
research and the associated groups that support those endeavors.
Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class
therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live
with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact
on patients' lives. Responsibilities Lab Operations
- Manage and lead the team of 2+ Lab Operations Associates with
full accountability for Research Lab operations. Hire, lead, manage
and develop the onsite team. Proactively engage the Lab Operations
Associates in building, executing and improving the department.
Create opportunities for lab ops associates to problem solve,
develop creative solutions, and learn (build skills).
- Manage day-to-day operations in -80,000 square feet of lab
space, including general wet labs, molecular biology, production
and purification space and cell culture laboratories.
- Responsible for Lab Asset Management Program for functional
area that includes budgeting, purchasing, deploying, service
contracts, utilization and scheduling as well as redeployments and
- Foster relationships and ensure there is a clear communication
paths between Lab Operations and lab user groups to continually
improve lab operations service models
- Responsible for CTE response program which includes account
management on monitoring system and coordinating with response
- Develop best practices, procedures and policies for Lab
Operations globally incorporating input and feedback lab users and
lab operations teams at other sites
- Drive continuous improvement in Lab Operations processes
- Instruct lab operations staff on procurement, inventory
management, shipping and receiving, and equipment moves.
- Managing cryo freezers in a freezer farm: monitoring liquid
nitrogen levels daily and connecting new LN2 dewars to cryo
freezers as required.
- Communicate operations updates to scientists on a regular
basis. Lab Asset Management Program
- Responsible for establishing, gaining approval and executing a
capital project plan within budget.
- Establish common practices to obtain quotes, submit contract
for legal review, place orders, prepare for location set-up
(Preparation of bench space, request IT support on computer and
network, request Facilities support on utilities), manage equipment
delivery, installation and set-up for use.
- Maintain Lab Asset tracking system for asset lifecycle
management and ensure data accuracy for maintenance/calibration
- Work with cost center manager on budget for capital
expenditures and equipment services.
- Responsible for Equipment utilization program and ensuring
hardware and software are working smoothly to provide information
around equipment utilization.
- Responsible for Pipette management and calibration program
- System owner for equipment reservation system.
- Collaborate with functional leads to understand and anticipate
lab needs (space, equipment, instrumentation, storage, etc.) to
develop short- and long-term area improvement plansLab Space
- Assist in development of efficient, standardized lab operations
- Assign Lab Benches and CTE space and coordinate on and off
boarding for new lab employees
- Responsible for coordinating lab expansion activities with
users to meet needs of a growing organization.Safety
- Serve as a representative on the Safety Committee and ensure
that the labs are maintained in compliance with BioMarin policies
and best safety practices
- Partner with key stakeholders to develop and continuously
strive for a proactive, high bar safety culture.
- Work with EHS&S to help make EH&S programs successful
at the site to include, but not limited to, Incident Management,
Ergonomics, Exposure Risk Assessments, Chemical Hygiene, Hazard
Communication, Biosafety Management, Respiratory Protection,
Hearing Conservation and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Ensure the site is compliant with all environmental and safety
regulations; including Federal, State and/or City regulations.
- Responsible for ensuring EHS&S conducts regulated waste
removal to centralized pick-up sites.
- Triage, respond, and/or route service requests from lab users
regarding safety, lab equipment, space, lab supplies, bio/chem
inventory and wasteLab Consumable Program
- Lead vendor managed inventory for lab consumables and media,
then provide oversight and direction to vendor technicians
regarding supply types, locations, and stock levels
- Ensure that lab issues and requests are addressed in a timely
- Establish and manage a service model and contracting strategy
across Technical Development for order management, inventory
management (including stock locations, stock levels and
replenishment practices), and proactively manage supply
- Work with customers, Lab Operations staff and third-party
vendors, to create and manage a master list of managed items onsite
(by vendors and internally), stock locations, and stock levels to
ensure that scientists have ready access to all basic consumables,
- Oversee adequate supply of specialty gases for the research and
early development teamAbove and beyond
- Oversight of delivery and commissioning of large capital
- Represent Research on cross-functional teams (Facilities, IT,
EHS, Site Logistics) to complete projects, address issues and
identify system improvements.
- Prior experience in construction delivery or as a tradesperson
(carpentry, electrical, plumbing)
- Manage chemical, equipment, consumables and biological sample
shipping and receiving
- Assist in sample shipment coordination activities to external
- Actively participate in evaluation and future implementation of
the LIMS system
- Other responsibilities may be assigned as neededWhat We're
- 8-10 years of progressive experience in operational leadership
in R&D laboratory, biotechnology or pharmaceutical
- 3+ years of proven success leading teams of lab operations
staff and vendors. Proven track record in managing and scaling lab
- 3+ years of process improvement experience
- Experience managing and prioritizing input from various key
stakeholders to deploy a plan that meets the needs of the
- Experience with managing preventive maintenance and repair of
house utility systems (laboratory gases, vacuum, HVAC, electrical,
DI water, etc.)
- Sound judgment and troubleshooting skills and the capacity to
resolve diverse problems effectively and in alignment with business
- Oversight of delivery and commissioning of small capital
- Effective interpersonal, negotiation, influence, and
communication skills with the proven ability to communicate
effectively across all departments and levels of the
- Must be a creative and proactive problem solver; keen ability
to anticipate needs and solve problems with sound judgment
- Is flexible and adaptable - Demonstrated ability to work in a
fast-paced working environment and work in a diplomatic and tactful
manner with others
- Ability to change on a dime, operate in a scrappy manner
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment
where results are achievedAdditional Requirements
- This position requires 24-hour response availability seven days
per week for emergency situations
- Significant standing, walking, moving, carrying, bending,
reaching, pushing, and pulling
- Ability to move and lift boxes and equipment up to 45 lbs
- Operate and routinely use hand and power tools PLEASE NOTE:
Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations,
all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19. We are
an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national
origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
Keywords: BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc., San Rafael , Lab Operations Manager, Executive , San Rafael, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!