Company: Guide Dogs for the Blind
Location: San Rafael
Posted on: June 5, 2019
OVERALL SUMMARY: -- Operating under the direction of the Medical
Director, this position provides general veterinary care,
surgeries, and radiology. Along with other staff veterinarians,
this position also provides appropriate medical management
oversight, including treatment authorizations, for dogs treated by
outside veterinarians. -- POSITION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Provide professional veterinary care, including surgery
(traditional and laparoscopic), radiology and internal medicine,
for dogs brought to the San Rafael Veterinary Clinic, promoting the
highest standards of safety, health, and well-being for the
animals. Provide veterinary assistance for the Oregon campus,
either by telephone or in person, as needed.
- Confer with outside veterinarians caring for GDB dogs to assure
that their recommended treatment is consistent with our protocols
and other conditions, and that results are appropriately documented
- Participate in authorizing outside veterinary care according to
our policy and procedures.
- Consult with breeder keepers, puppy raisers, graduates, and
adopters of career change dogs, concerning their dogs' veterinary
care by phone, e-mail and when appropriate, in person.
- Participate in GDB research projects as assigned, adhering to
any mandated protocols, procedures, documentation and reporting
- Supervise, train and provide guidance to paid and volunteer
- Update veterinary concepts through continuing education.
- Represent Guide Dogs and the Veterinary Dept. inside and
outside of the organization as requested.
- Write veterinary-related articles for GDB publications as
- Adhere to our organization's safety policies and procedures and
encourages others to do the same. Promptly report incidents and
accidents according to campus procedures.
- Undertake other duties as assigned.
- Be available for on-call shifts weekly and rotating weekends
and holidays. Answer questions from campus staff.-- Come to campus
when necessary for medical emergencies.
- Licensed California veterinarian.
- Self-starter with the ability to thrive in a team environment
but also able to work independently.
- Excellent analytical, communications, and interpersonal
- USDA licensed for interstate and international health
certificate. Current and renewable Drug Enforcement Agency license,
Class II, IN, III, III, IV, V.
- Must safely handle a variety of large breed dogs, weighing up
to 90 pounds, with varying strength and manageability. Ability to
safely lift up to 40 pounds. Employees are required to seek
assistance when lifting dogs or objects weighing more than 40
- Weekend rotations and/or on-call work.
- Able to stand up to four hours at a time.
- Able to travel overnight occasionally.
Keywords: Guide Dogs for the Blind, San Rafael , Staff Veterinarian, Healthcare , San Rafael, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!