Northern Bay Area
About San Rafael
The City of San Rafael is a charter city founded in 1913. The
mission of the City is to enhance the quality of life and to
provide for a safe, healthy, prosperous and livable environment in
partnership with the community. The City has a staff of 387
full-time employees and an annual budget of $82.4 million. City
departments include the City Manager's Office, Management Services,
Finance, Community Development, Community Services, Fire, Library,
Police, and Public Works.
View all openings
Apply for Job Interested
HONORARY DEAN ALLISON INTERNSHIP
San Rafael Public Works Department
Part-Time (Up to 30 hours per week/no benefits available)
$20.50 per hour
Application Deadline: Apply by Friday, June 4, 2021 for first
The City of San Rafael Public Works Department is seeking an
Intern to work part-time (Up to 4 days/28 hours per week). San
Rafael's Organizational Culture framework is a Helen Putnam
Award-winning initiative called "Together San Rafael"." City
employees are our greatest asset, and we seek talented individuals
with diverse backgrounds who are creative, curious, and excited
about a challenge. We are a results-driven team focused on the
needs of community members. The Together San Rafael initiative is
focused on modernizing city services and increasing the engagement
of employees. This initiative recognizes the interconnectedness of
the customer and employee experience. Together San Rafael is
- Collaborating cross-departmentally
- Empowering all City employees to share and implement their
- Celebrating the innovation happening every day in our
The Dean Allison Public Service Internship was created to honor
Dean Allison, the City's Public Works Director from September 2015
to March 2016 before his life was tragically cut short. He embraced
the ideals of public service and transparency in his brief time
with the City. Dean focused on the needs of the public and worked
effectively with individuals and groups throughout San Rafael to
respond decisively to a broad spectrum of needs both large and
small in a creative and community focused way. This internship
celebrates his life and his time serving the citizens of San
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting to develop and implement the City's new sidewalk
maintenance program, including a new tree ordinance.
- Assisting to develop a plan to seek funding to dredge the San
- Preparing written reports regarding program activities.
- Creating, updating and auditing spreadsheets using Microsoft
- Conducting research and analysis of federal, state and local
laws related to special projects.
- Compiling information, preparing documents and public education
- Participating in other public works programs and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduated or currently enrolled in the 3rd year of a Bachelor's
degree program or higher in an Engineering, Business, Public
Administration, Environmental Science or related program.
- Ability to multitask and stay organized.
- Proficient computer efficiency, including familiarity with
Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to demonstrate characteristics of listening,
flexibility, follow-through, problem solving,
community-orientation, and identifying "win-win" solutions.
For a previous intern's experience, please follow this link:
Interview Process: The most qualified applicants will be invited
to interview following the application review closing date. Please
note on the application the preferred method of communication,
whether by phone or email.
Application Process: City of San Rafael application is required.
Resumes do not substitute for the City application. To file an
application on-line go to www.calopps.org. Select "Member
Agencies". Select "City of San Rafael". Follow this link to submit
Contact: For questions regarding this internship please contact
Talia Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Dean Allison Internship Announcement.pdf
Additional Job PDF:
Dean Allison Internship Flyer.pdf