Northern Bay Area
Pre-qualification and Supplemental
About San Rafael
The City of San Rafael is a charter city founded in 1913. The
mission of the City is to enhance the quality of life and to
provide for a safe, healthy, prosperous and livable environment in
partnership with the community. The City has a staff of 387
full-time employees and an annual budget of $82.4 million. City
departments include the City Manager's Office, Management Services,
Finance, Community Development, Community Services, Fire, Library,
Police, and Public Works.
View all openings
Apply for Job Interested
1400 Fifth Avenue San Rafael, 94901
Child Care Instructor II (Preschool)
Full-Time (35 hours per week)
$2,957 - $3,595 per month
Plus excellent benefits
OPEN UNTIL FILLED: Apply by Monday, March 22, 2020 for first
The Library and Recreation Department (Child Care Division) is
recruiting for a full-time Child Care Instructor II position in
their Preschool Programming at Parkside Preschool. Under the
supervision of the Child Care Center Director, this position will
provide developmental care and supervision to children enrolled in
the childcare program; implement age appropriate curriculum for
children; establish and maintain supportive relationships with
children and parents; and other related duties as assigned.
This position performs the following essential job duties:
- Plan, implement and supervise developmental preschool
- Develop age-appropriate curriculum and activities to stimulate
children's cognitive skills, abilities and development.
- Evaluate needs of children, staff and site in order to maintain
a safe and healthy environment for children and staff.
- Supervise the activities of children and records observations
of children's behavior and activities; monitor behavioral patterns
and develops assessment and profiles.
- Schedule parent conferences to discuss children's development
and concerns; work with family to devise learning and development
strategies as necessary.
- Maintain accurate attendance and enrollment records; maintain
appropriate confidential records.
- Supervise and coordinate the work of subordinate childcare
- Monitor and order classroom supplies and materials as
To be eligible for this position you must have knowledge of:
- Early Childhood Development
- Curriculum models such as CLASS and Pyramid training
- Classroom management techniques
- Appropriate disciplinary techniques
- Oral and written communication skills
- Group leadership and teaching skills
To be eligible for this position you must possess the ability
- Plan and implement curriculum based on principles of Child
- Supervise and coordinate staff and children.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships. Work
cooperatively to achieve program goals.
- Interact and communicate effectively, both verbally and in
writing, with children, parents, staff, host school and community
- Manage time, activities and resources effectively.
- Work as scheduled.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Completion of twelve (12) units of Early Childhood Education
- One year working with children in a Preschool setting.
- Department of Justice and FBI fingerprint clearance
- Prefer possession of a valid California Driver's License
Must be able to perform physical activities such as but not
limited to: lifting or carrying children or heavy items (up to 40
lbs.) unassisted, reaching, bending, standing, or walking. The
employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, twist,
stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required
by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision,
peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
City of San Rafael application is required. A City of San Rafael
application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City
application. Candidates should detail related education and
experience on the application since this information will be used
to determine who will be invited to participate in the next phase
of the examination process. The examination process may include the
following: application appraisal and oral board interview
examination. The passing point for the oral board examination final
score will be 70%. Prior to appointment, candidate must pass a
pre-placement physical examination, drug screen, a background
check, and fingerprinting. To file an application, go online to
www.calopps.org. Select "Member Agencies". Select "San Rafael".
Follow this link to submit an application for this position:
Reasonable Accommodation: The City of San Rafael will make
reasonable accommodations in the interview process to accommodate
disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require
an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3474 before the
Child Care Instructor II (Preschool) Job Announcement.pdf
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and
benefits program. The salary range for this position is $2,957 -
$3,595 monthly, DOQ/DOE and a competitive benefits program