Relief Registered Veterinary Technician (On-Call)
Company: Guide Dogs for the Blind
Location: San Rafael
Posted on: July 13, 2019
Relief Registered Veterinary Technician (On-Call), San Rafael
- General Information
Job Title:Relief Registered Veterinary Technician
- 350 Los Ranchitos Road
- San Rafael, CA, 94903
- United States
Employee Type:On Call
Job Category:Veterinary Clinic
- Brief DescriptionOVERALL SUMMARY:
This position works with the staff veterinarians to ensure the
heath and well-being of all dogs and puppies under our care.
Practices all aspects of veterinary medicine, for example:
anesthesia, radiology, dermatology, oncology, internal medicine,
dentistry, emergency and critical care, and rehabilitation.
Provides triage, assists veterinarians with preventive care duties,
basic and advanced/complex procedures.
POSITION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Induce and monitor anesthesia, develop anesthetic plans.
- Establish and maintain IV catheters. Administer IV, IM, and SQ
injections. Administer vaccinations, treatments, special
- Properly position, expose, restrain patient being x-rayed.
- Undertake dental procedures (e.g. prophylactic cleaning and
polishing, chart dentition, dental extractions, radiography) and
educate clients on dental care.
- Assist with surgery and endoscopy; suture closure layer after
surgery, assess pain levels.
- Understand pharmacology/pharmacokinetics in order to understand
medications and calculate medication/fluid doses properly.
- Maintain surgical, dental, endoscopic, and other technical
- Perform comprehensive examinations including all body systems;
recognize and report abnormal findings and communicate findings to
- Perform laboratory sampling (e.g. Venipuncture, cystocentesis,
FNA, joint taps, skin scrapings, urine cultures).
- Perform and interpret in-house lab tests (cytology,
microbiology, parasitology, hematology, blood chemistry,
urinalysis, and necropsy).
- Accurately maintain specialized medical records both in GDB
database and for outside veterinarians.
- Admit and discharge patients; counsel constituents in critical
and euthanasia cases; consult with outside veterinary specialists;
follow up with constituents over phone and in person. Solo vet
clinic weekend contact - triage calls, approve outside vet
expenses, give medical advice to constituents, kennel, and training
staff, contact vet on call, when intervention is needed, and give
- Adheres to our organization's standards of conduct, ethics and
safety policies and procedures and encourages others to do the
same. Promptly reports incidents and accidents according to campus
- Undertake other duties assigned.
- RequirementsPOSITION ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Licensed to work as a Registered Veterinary Technician in
state; at least three years experience desirable. AS in Veterinary
Technology or equivalent.
- Must safely handle a variety of large breed dogs, weighing up
to 90 pounds, with varying strength and manageability. Ability to
safely lift up to 40 pounds. Employees are required to seek
assistance when lifting dogs or objects weighing more than 40
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite products, including
Outlook, e-mail, Word, Excel, and Access or other database
- Good interpersonal skills and a pleasant manner dealing with
- Provide on-call service during off hours.
- Able to work weekends, occasional nights and holidays.
- Able to work on-call during off hours, approximately 7- 24-hour
periods per month.
This is a non-exempt position.
Keywords: Guide Dogs for the Blind, San Rafael , Relief Registered Veterinary Technician (On-Call), Professions , San Rafael, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!